Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas ~ Albert Einstein

Monday 8 April 2013

Session Six

          Session six marked the end of EDU 330 Elementary Mathematics module. Six fun-filled days of math activities. Did I just write that down? I find it hard to believe it myself but yes, it's true. Mathematics was never my forte as a student but the pass six days under Dr Yeap's tutelage, I have found renewed interest in it.

One of the many things that will remain with me after today will be Jerome Bruner's Concrete Pictorial Abstract approach. The importance of this approach in helping children learn not only mathematics but for the learning of anything abstract is crucial.


          The second thing that I will take away from this module is the four questions teachers have to ask themselves when planning a lesson. 
  1.  What do I want the students to learn?
  2.  How do I know if they have learnt?
  3.  What if the are unable to learnt it?
  4.  What if they already can?

          Following the four questions are the stages of teaching that every teacher should follow:
  1. Modelling
  2. Scaffolding
  3. Exploration
  4. Enrichment

Of all the things that Dr Yeap taught.......this I will not forget

 The Importance of Using the Correct Language 

The use of language to connect math concepts and children's understanding of those concepts is a significant aspect that I must take into consideration from the initial moment children begin to acquire skills and mathematical knowledge.

Thank You Dr Yeap for making Mathematics fun and enjoyable and making me believe in myself that I need not be a mathematician to teach mathematics. All I need is to know the techniques of teaching mathematics.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.