Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas ~ Albert Einstein

Saturday 30 March 2013

Reflections on Readings - Chapter One

          In this chapter, I have come to understand the different principles and standards for the instruction of Mathematics in schools. This comes to show that Mathematics is definitely an essential aspect of education. All these frameworks have one thing in common. They all focus on the need to make it possible for all students to have the opportunity and the support necessary to learn significant mathematics with depth and understanding. It is evident that the long-term goal is for all students to develop lifelong problem solving skills. Mathematics ability is not inherited as anyone can learn mathematics.
          Mathematics was never my forte as a student, so I was a little apprehensive when I read that I would need to have a profound, flexible, and adaptive knowledge of mathematics content to be a teacher of Mathematics. I realized the important role a teacher plays in the teaching of Mathematics. The fact that student's learning of Mathematics may come only from the teacher, puts an enormous responsibility on the teacher. I totally agree that a teacher has to demonstrate persistence, have a positive attitude towards mathematics, be prepared for change, and always make time to be self-conscious and reflective (Van De Walle, Karp, Bay-Williams, 2013, p. 10).
          I need to change my attitude towards mathematics and be receptive to the joy that can be found in solving mathematical problems. This is important to me not only as an individual but more so as a teacher so that I can be a positive role model to my students. Only then can I nurture in my students a positive attitude and a life-long passion for mathematics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.